Pimp my Netbook banner

Wednesday 6 May 2009

Window 7 RC public release - a bit of a dilemma

Now I have a dilemma. Microsoft have done the obvious and are working to build as much interest around Windows 7 as possible. Putting the RC out to the public is an obvious way of doing this and retaining control over it's distrubution (rather than the host of torrents for the betas that we have seen).

This does however leave me having to make a decision:do I test Windows 7, just to see, when I have to confess I am absolutly happy with Ubuntu 9.04.

That statement would benefit from a little qualification. I've been running Ubunt 9.04 from the day that it was released (some 3 weeks ago) and it has been a very welcome relief from the near-misses of many other distributions. Ubuntu has raised the game for Linux significantly with this, to the point where I would prefer to use that rather than any of the MS Windows based machines I also use. The *only* thing I haven't tried yet is my 3G USB modem. I suspect that that will just be a case of installing the drivers, but I'll confirm that later.

So I feel that I should give Windows 7 a go, just to see what it's like and how it deals with the challenges presented by the hardware constraints of netbooks, but I have to say, I just don't feel the need ...

No comments:

Post a Comment