Pimp my Netbook banner

Friday 24 April 2009

Installing Ubuntu 9.04 on an EeePC 900

I've been running Windows XP on my EeePC 900 for a couple of weeks and whilst the ease-of-use has been nice it has been (predictably) getting slower and fatter.

What I've been waiting for is a suitable replacement and yesterdays release of Ubuntu 9.04 provoked an immediate download and install.

I was hoping for something that could actually compete with / surpass Windows XP. I got what I hoped for.

I chose the standard desktop build for my install - I liked the previous NBR, but in the end I wanted it to be more like an ordinary desktop. I did this by downloading the ISO and burning toa CD-R and using a USB DVD-RW drive that I have.

The install itself is a very easy process apart from one stage - the disk partitioning. But more on that later, and remeber I'm describing this from a non-linux experts perspective tempered with the expereince of 10-15 differnet distributions on the EeePC 900.

The install starts ask you all familiar questions about location and keyboard layout wich I have to say it makes very easy. The installer also identifies the resoultion of the EeePC display by default and all the buttons and controlls are correctly positioned for the sice and aspect ratio of the screen.

The next questions are about where to install Ubuntu to. The EeePC 900 boasts 20GB of solid state disk storage, but this is infact split into a 4GB onboard drive and a 16GB secondary drive. The problem that I consistently encounter, even with installers that are supposedly designed for netbooks, is that they don't suggest a split installation where both disks are utilised. This meant that I ended up doing my own partitioning. I have to say that some installers make that proposition a very tricky process, but the Ubuntu 9.04 installer was easy to use and quickly enabled me to set up the following:
  • 4GB SSD: single partition mounted as '/'
  • 16GB SSD: 2GB swap partition, 4GB partition mounted as '/usr' and 10GB partition mounted as '/home'
From that point onwards things where very easy - provide my user details and off it went. The install took about 30 minutes and completed without event.

Then the reboot. I know that Ubuntu have been saying that they have improved boot times, but I was very impressed at how fast the OS booted. Not more than 30 seconds.

The interface iteself looks great, but what made me oven happier was to find that it had already identified the hardware so that audio, wlan, lan, function keys and even little things like two-finger scrolling with the trackpad all worked without my needing to do anything.

The experience of using Ubuntu 9.04 I will leave to another bloog post but I must just say that I was pleasantly surprised at just how slick and sorted is it, and how everything just worked in a way that I am not used to encountering with Linux. It may seem trivial, but when I started Firefox up and went to page containing an embedded Flash element, I got the usual popup asking if I wanted to install the plugin. This usually never works. I usually have to download it from Adobe and install it by hand. But I tried it anyway and one dialogue later the plugin has downloaded and installed perfectly.

So if I had to describe my Ubuntu 9.04 experience so far it's this: very slick, but more importantly it all just works.

7 comments:

  1. I have to ask what exactly put you off from UNR? Other than the interface I find it just as customizeable as any other Ubuntu install and the base install footprint is small enough to fit on my HP Mini 1000 8GB SSD with enough room to breath. Sure NBR requires a bit of an adaptation curve, but in the end I think the pros far outweigh the cons when using such limited screen real estate. I suppose I'm a bit prejudiced but I just can't see why someone would use anything else on such a space limited screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i tested it too on myy 701.. its great to see my wireless LAN module are ready to use out of the box... ubuntu always rocks,especially with the "out of the box" feature llike the open office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having problems getting the SD/MMC card reader + the web cam to work properly on ubuntu 9.04 with my eee pc 900, any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got 9.04 to work on my eee pc 900. One problem I have, with Skype the quality is bad. I hear the other person alright, but they get an echo and sometimes some seconds of silence, when I talk... Do you have the same?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm ... the UNR thing is that I like to work off my desktop as a workspace to put things I'm working on and I found that I missed that part of it with the UNR interface. I'm also old enough that I remember when the move from 640x480 to 800x600 was a big deal, so I can work happily on 1024x600. I've teakes all the font sizes down so I end up with quite a bit of room, and learning to capitalise on the two desktops also helps.

    As far as skype on my Eee900, I always used a headset rather than the inbuilt mic and found that this worked well. They seem to be available very cheaply now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not working MMC.SD on EeePC900 with Ubuntu 9.04

    ReplyDelete
  7. I already run Ubuntu on my laptop, so with a 2Gb pendrive and the utility provided by Ubuntu, I made a bootable copy of 9.04 for my 900(16Gb). Had to enable the webcam in BIOS, but everything else just works. I checked UNR out but read of possible probs with the 900, so opted for the normal desktop version.
    I ordered a 16Gb SDHC card for £17.99 (delivered free with Super Saver) and now have an amazing little netbook with loads of space for mp3s/videos etc.
    People complain about the size of the keyboard, but it isn't a problem once you get used to it.

    ReplyDelete