Pimp my Netbook banner

Tuesday 7 April 2009

8.9 inch or 10 inch .... ASUS stops marketing it's smallest netbooks

Asus announced recently that it would stop marketing it's smallest 8.9" netbooks ahead of a move to 10" displays as a minimum spec.

I can see why this is being done - for some, the 8.9" formfactor can seem a little cramped, but I have to say, I use an EeePC 900, with a 8.9" screen and I don't have any problems typing on the keyboard and I certainly don't have small fingers!

The other aspect that I feel is a little lost here is the resolution of the screens - 1024x600 was a good increase in resolution when the first netbooks jumped from 7" to 8.9" screens. If we are seeing a permanent shift to 10" screens I would hope to also see a suitable increase in resolution - how about 1280x800 ... that would make a significant improvement in the user experience, much beyond the slightly bigger keyboard ...

No comments:

Post a Comment