Pimp my Netbook banner

Sunday 5 April 2009

Fedora Linux 10 - First impressions

On Friday (3 days ago) I installed Fedora 10 Linux onto my EeePC 900.

The install was very easy (done from the Live CD, via USB DVD-ROM drive) and seems to support all the EeePC hardware out to the box (function keys, wlan, audio, trackpad). I don't know about the in-built camera yet as I haven't tested it.

The first things I noticed (after the slightly longer boot time than I'm used to (75 seconds to get to login prompt, +25 seconds to get logged in) was that the Fedora default disk build has done something very clever with it's disk partitioning system and has built a single 18.9GB volume out of my 4GB + 16GB solid state disks. This is the first time I have seen something like this (although I heard about it a couple of months ago). The cool thing is, it just works.

So far, Fedora is well behaved and works responsively, is s little slow to boot. As I get software installed on it I'll post further experiences. I'm aiming for the standard Open Office, Inkscape, Gimp (which was already included), Blender, Skype in addition to Firefox 3, Thunderbird and Remote Desktop. I'll also be seeing of I can find a way to get the '3' network 3G dongle that I have working on Fedora.

Looks good so far, I'll let you know about the rest ....

No comments:

Post a Comment